Calling Trans* people 'mentally ill' is simply wrong


You might want to read this, seriously... Jules 
-------------------------------------


People may say it’s an illness, but for me it’s just who I am.
I'm not sick, I'm Transgender. I face discrimination everyday simply for being who I am. This stigma is made so much worse by the World Health Organisation who still say my gender is a mental illness.
My gender is not an illness, it's part of me like being Jewish or vegetarian! Calling Trans* people 'mentally ill' is simply wrong and does little to help us live the lives we deserve.
That's why I've started a petition on Change.org calling on the World Health Organisation (WHO) to stop considering Trans* people 'mentally ill'. Click here to join me.
It's incredible that in this day and age my gender is considered an illness. Many countries have requested the WHO to remove transsexuality from their list of illnesses, as has the European Parliament. However, today transsexuality is still there.
But we have a chance to change that: the WHO is revising what illnesses will appear on the classification list. It's time to say it loud and clear: transsexuals are not sick. As was the case with homosexuality, which was dropped from the list in 1990, now is the time to stop stigmatising transsexual people.
Thanks,
Maxwell Zachs
Maxwellzachs.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular Posts