According to figures compiled by Action Fraud and the City of London Police's National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB), there has been a 15% increase in reports of online shopping and auction fraud since July.
Top five products likely to feature in online shopping and auction fraud:
- Smart Phones
- Digital Cameras
- Designer goods including jewellery and branded boots
- Laptops and notebooks
- Video game systems.
To make sure your online shopping is safe and secure, remember these top tips:
- Use secure websites that you trust. Do your research before making a purchase. Check online forums for feedback
- Do they have a real-world presence? Can you see their address and phone number? Is it a valid UK registered phone number?
- Check the browser address changes from 'http' to 'https' to indicate you have a secure connection and look for a padlock or an unbroken key symbol on your web browser
- If website prices for designer items, games and smart phones seem too good to be true, they probably are. Legitimate popular technology and designer items are rarely discounted
- Visit www.getsafeonline.org.uk for other tips on staying safe online.