I have abridged this article from a newsletter I wrote 6 months ago.
Cookers now more deadly than boilers
More than 40 per cent of carbon monoxide -related fatalities in 2009 were caused by problems with gas cooker appliances – overtaking boilers as the number one cause of CO-linked deaths.
Seven of the 17 fatalities caused by CO poisoning across
There were a total of 10 serious gas cooker-related incidents reported during the 12-month period.
In 2007/8 there was only one incident reported with a cooker, whereas in 2008/9 there were 10, the highest number since records began in July 1996. An analysis of the causes of all incidents revealed concerns such as a lack of servicing – specified in 25 per cent of the cases – flue and terminal positioning, and the fitting or seal between flues and appliances.
Over the 12-month reporting period, 17 deaths and 96 injuries in 56 incidents were confirmed to be CO poisoning linked to mains natural gas.
Reacting to the findings of the report, customer services director at boiler specialist Baxi Group Lee Robinson said: “The heating industry and Gas Safe Register have been working hard to raise awareness of illegal gas workers and stamp out the cowboys. We must keep raising standards and educate consumers on the dangers of employing non registered gas workers for home installations. By continuing to work together in a systematic way, I’m sure we can reduce the risk even further.”
In November 2009 the Health and Safety Executive and Gas Safe, the agency governing the registration of gas workers, launched a new campaign to crackdown on unregistered gas workers. Recent prosecutions include a gas fitter from
If you get a Cooker fitted – MAKE SURE they are GAS SAFE registered contractors.
And there’s another point too, if you are in any place that is deemed as Multiple occupancy building (maisonette, studio, sub-divided house) you must check that your New or Second hand cooker replacement is compliant with new regulations and has Flame Supervision Devices on ALL burners. This is to further reduce the risk to others for your usage of a Gas Cooker.